[mythtv-users] Security concerns for my myth box

Craig Partin cpartin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 02:23:46 UTC 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:41:20 -0500, Michael Starks
<mythtv at michaelstarks.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 16:16 -0500, Craig Partin wrote:
>
> > What security measures do others have in place?
>
> I do not believe security is a primary design consideration with Myth
> and as such, I treat it as untrusted.  As to MythWeb, access is
> controlled via IP filtering and SSH tunneling.

It seems as if the general consensus is to open only the SSH port in
the firewall and use tunneling to interact with the webserver.  I was
under the impression that apache was considered secure enough to
expose to the world on many other dedicated webservers.  Why not on
the myth box?

Is SSH the only software people trust to listen for network
connections?  What's wrong with apache and SSL?  And does myth
(backend or frontend) listen for anything?  Are there dangers in just
having one machine running myth also running network services?