[mythtv-users] Hard Drives that Actually Work?

Ian Armstrong mail01 at iarmst.co.uk
Wed Dec 15 10:58:00 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 14 Dec 2004 16:15, Josh Burks wrote:
> I wonder when my 200 GB WD is going to die....
>
> I've had it about 6 months, and I'm using it as my XFS /video
> partition for my recordings. I haven't had any problems (yet).
>
> My next one will be a Seagate.

I've just moved away from Seagate after having four of their drives fail in
five months. The drives were all less than 18 months old. They weren't
purchased at the same time and were different sizes, so it's unlikely to be a
bad batch. They weren't in the same machine, and three of the drives had
active cooling to keep the temperature down, but it didn't seem to help. I
was not impressed.

After the second failure I started to use smartd, so at least I had some
advance notice of when the last two started to go bad.

--
Ian