[mythtv-users] OT: TiVo cracks down on grammar

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 20:46:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:59:00 -0000, Neil Davidson <lists at backslash.co.uk> wrote:

> Like in the UK you don't say you are going to vacuum your house (unless you
> are trying to sound posh), you get the Hoover out, even it is made by
> someone else. The exception to this is Dyson, people actually call it a
> Dyson.

I lived in England for a while (a year of undergrad in Nottingham, a
year of graduate school in Cambridge). "Hoover" was the one bit of
British English I just could never get used to.

I willingly added "u" to colour and favourite. I dropped "the" when
talking about someone who's in hospital. I can pull off a really
atrocious imitation of a BBC radio newscaster. I wrote cheques (not
checks!) with amounts like "Five pounds only" instead of "Five pounds
and no/100".  I even learned to refer to sports teams as singular
entities (America have advanced to the second round of the World
Cup!). But I never could get over the use of Hoover to mean vacuum.

Cheers,
Lane :)

--
Meetup with other Myth users!