[mythtv-users] Hard Drives that Actually Work?

Steven Christall mythtv at mctubster.com
Tue Dec 14 18:48:08 UTC 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 07:53:36 -0600, Paul.Buchanan at thomson.com said:
> I just had my second Western Digital Special Edition 200 GB drive die on
> me.  Since I'm using an ASUS Pundit, I figured heat was the culprit, so
> the second drive had a dual-fan cooler on it.  No such luck.  After about
> three months of use, performance suddenly degrades, and the journals
> begin to corrupt.  A few days later, I/O errors crop up, and the drive is
> pretty much useless.

I have 12x80GB Seagate Cudda IV's in an array running 24x7 for the last
2.5 years + 2x120GB Cudda V's 18 months old.  One 120GB has failed,
although I believe my flatmate dropped the PC during a move, and it
didn't boot again after this.

They are quiet, not the fastest, but I won't buy anything else for
myself.  At work have various arrays with 16x300GB PATA Maxtors (with
one failure in 16 months) and I just received another array with
14x250GB SATA Maxtors in it.  Also one 12x300GB WD (with 8MB cache, 3
year warrenty) no failures yet that gets the s**t kicked out of it every
day running for one year.

I have had a lot of problems with the glass platter IBM's from two years
ago .... 60GXPs from mem .... won't touch IBM anymore.  Plus Seagate
have same 5 year warrenty on all of their drives now ... they have my
vote.

All of the new Dells we buy seem to have WD drives, two failures in 8
months for 20 PC's ... not so great

(Touching a lot of wood!!!!)
HTH's
Steve