[mythtv-users] Very slight jitter on high power machine

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 14 06:28:30 UTC 2004

--- Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:

> By jitter I refer to what appear to be dropped
> frames, slight skips in
> smooth motion during periods of high motion.   Not
> the "Sound is freaking
> out" constant jitter or actual slow playback.

I've noticed this too, and I describe it almost as
"cogging" because the hiccup is very regular.  For
example when a camera pans across a scene I see smooth
panning interrupted by regular jerks.

I'm starting to wonder if it has something to do with
24 vs. 30 frames/sec. content.  I've noticed that I
get "cogging" on some network shows but almost never
on football games.  Aren't some network shows
originally filmed at 24 frames/sec?  Do we need to do
some kind of 3:2 pulldown to make the motion smooth?