[mythtv-users] software mpeg decoding performance

Paul Miller paul at pinheiro.dyndns.org
Tue Dec 14 01:47:52 UTC 2004

I'm deciding whether or not to buy a PVR-250/500 or 350.  I have a
Radeon 9700 AIW video card and I'm thinking about shelling out for a
DVI->HDMI cable such that I can connect it digitally to my HD TV,
instead of using the s-video from a PVR-350.

I'm wondering how much CPU resources are needed to decode MPEG?  I
want to be able to fast forward and rewind without and slow downs.
My computer is a P3-800MHz.  Do I need a hardware decoder to get this
kind of performance?

Thanks!
-Paul

BTW- Is there an efficient way to search the mailing list archives???