[mythtv-users] HDTV, Myth, and Cable television -- basic questions

Marc Nicholas marc at geekythings.com
Mon Dec 13 22:59:02 UTC 2004

Micha...

Right off the bat, you need to be aware of two things:

- Watching HD cable requires a card that can 'understand' QAM encoding.
More than this, many QAM signals are encrypted and you'll need a CableCard
compatible decoder -- of which I know of none for PCs right now.

- The pcHDTV3000 is meant for Over-the-Air HD signals right now.
Apparently, the pcHDTV folk have access to QAM firmware but haven't
released it yet.

- For QAM digital cable, many cable operators will *not* "initialize" a
device that isn't sold by them. This is analogous to cellular carriers who
will only 'activate' phones sold by them.

- Believe it or not, Over-the-Air HD broadcasts are often better quality
than cable HD (QAM). Many North American cable operators have really
crammed as much as they can out of their available bandwidth :-( Bear in
mind that some operators advertize programs that are merely 480P as "being
in HD", too!

Hope that clarifies a few things.

-marc