[mythtv-users] Re: Impossible to choose Motherboard?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Dec 10 20:13:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 03:27:37PM +0000, Drew Zerdecki wrote:
> Thanks for all the help!  At his point, no HD for me, but I do like
> overkill so I usually price high and if can't muster the $$$ I step back.
>
> 1.  Is CPU (AMD/Intel) a matter of preference at this point?  I've
> always had Intel with no problems?

Normally, no.  In this case, it seems yes.

AMD chips run slower than Intel chips but perform most tasks faster or
at a similar speed for their marketing number (such as Athlon-3000 matching
a P4-3ghz even though the Athlon is a 2.2ghz chip.)

But not at everything.  Sometimes raw ghz is what you need, and the P4
is your chip.  It seems mpeg is one of those things.

However, that means it runs hotter.

For most other applications I would get an AMD chip -- cheaper, runs
cooler.  For mpeg and a few other apps, the Intel wins.