[mythtv-users] Re: New user and question about GPL

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 21:00:52 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 18:01:01 +0000 (UTC), Gavin Hurlbut
<gjhurlbu+mythtv-users at beirdo.ca> wrote:
> Lane Schwartz <dowobeha at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Short answer: The company is correct.
>
> Short answer: no they aren't

Just found this. Seems to shed some more light on the subject.

http://www.gnu.org/cgi-bin/license-quiz.cgi

I'm copying the question and correct answer for question #6:

FooCorp sells binaries of Joan's GPL'd web browser on CD without
source code. They include an offer to provide source code. Which of
the following offers fulfills their obligations under the GPL?

    * I. "You can download the source code from our web site at
http://foocorp.example.com/download.html"
    * II. "Everyone who buys a binary CD may order up to one source CD
per binary CD for $5000."
    * III. "Everyone may order a source CD for $5000."
    * IV. "Everyone who buys a binary CD may order up to one source CD
per binary CD for the cost of distribution."
    * V. "Everyone may order a source CD for the cost of distribution."
    * VI. "Everyone who buys a binary CD may order up to one source CD
for free."
    * VII. "Everyone may order a source CD for free."

   1. Any of I-VII are OK.
   2. Any of II-VII are OK, but I is not OK.
   3. Any of IV-VII are OK, but I-III are not OK.
   4. Any of III, V, and VII are OK, but I, II, IV, VI are not OK.
   5. V and VII are OK, none of the others are.
   6. None of I-VII are OK.

You can find out about this issue in the GPL, section 3b.

The correct answer is 5.

What this question still doesn't address is if either of the following
offers would be valid:

"Everyone who buys a binary may order a source CD for the cost of distribution."
"Everyone who buys a binary may order a source CD for free."

Lane