[mythtv-users] Re: RAID5 ATA IDE hardware card recommendations for mythbackend machine

Anthony Vito anthony.vito at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 20:10:37 UTC 2004

> All of this was prompted because we just had an HDD failure and lost
> about a month's worth of unarchived baby pictures; redundancy is the
> primary issue.

For the last time... RAID is _NOT_ a backup solution. It's a data
visibility solution. RAID allow the computer to keep on working even
if one of the drive dies. Yes, you get redundancy, but other HUGE
problems of data loss still exisit.

1) What do you do when you accidentally delete something important?..(
rm -rf * ... DOH ).. It's gone on all the disks with no way to get it
back except a slim slim chance with some recovery software.

2) What if a program corrupts a file, or a set off files? They get
messup on the whole RAID array. That "program" could be a malicious
virus.

RAID is nice for companies where a server going down means losing
money and time. For the average home user, a nice automated daily
backup plan is the best medicine. An external harddrive in an
enclosure is a great way to accomplish this.

( NOTE: both problems above can be solved by using a concurrent
versioning system such as CVS or subversion to store all your files...
but is kindof annoying to deal with all the time )

--
Anthony Vito
anthony.vito at gmail.com