[mythtv-users] Component video adapters

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Dec 9 17:06:18 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Adam \Fuzzy\ Kennedy wrote:

> For those interested, I've found some neat Component video adapters. I
> thought about it when my friend replaced his ATI video card. It had a
> DVI to Component adapter with it.
>
> So upon searching google, I came up with http://www.svideo.com
>
> They have DVI as well as VGA to component video adapters at about $35 each.
>
> DVI to Component (YPbPr)
> http://www.svideo.com/radeon9600pro.html
>
> VGA to Component (YPbPr)
> http://www.svideo.com/hdtvr8500.html

Just today I received an Audio Authority 9A60 VGA to component adapter
that I had ordered from Pacific Custom Cable.  This box is a lot more
expensive ($108) but it works with any VGA signal provided the appropriate
monitor timings are used for the connected HDTV monitor.

I'm curious about these cheaper adapters though.  To do YPbPr video means
an electrical conversion is required, which is what the 9A60 does.  But
these adapters mentioned above may be different.  Is it that the Radeon
8500 (and related boards) already have the needed conversion circuits and
that the adapter just provides the mechanical plug conversion?  That would
explain why the adapter only is rated to work with specific ATI cards.
And if that is the case, then I imagine there is some kind of driver
aspect to this to get the card to generate YPbPr compatible signals -
which I guess is why another poster here suggests that the adapters listed
above currently don't work in Linux.

A close-up shot of one of the adapters

  http://store1.yimg.com/I/videoware_1816_13861105

shows a set of dipswitches, which would seem to suggest that this adapter
is more than just some kind of pass-through.  Perhaps the dipswitches are
just read by the driver as alternative means for "detecting" what video
modes are supported by the HDTV monitor (since there's no way for EDID
data to be located in that case).  Anyone have any experience with this or
a pointer to documentation about it (beyond the PDF listed on the svideo
page)?

  -Mike

    POSITIVELY NO       |                             | 03 54 43 4D 75 E5 CC 92
 UNSOLICITED JUNK MAIL! |   isely @ pobox (dot) com   | 71 16 01 E2 B5 F5 C1 E8