[mythtv-users] displaying widescreen TV on a 4:3 video card

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Thu Dec 9 13:11:46 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 10:20:08AM +1100, Jason Lewis wrote:
> I have been struggling with this problem....
>
> My myth box has a DVB capture card, and a Geforce4 MX graphics card. It
> turns out that DVB comes in in some sort of wide screen, 16:9 or
> something, and the graphics card I have can only do 4:3 TV-out.
>
> Is there a way to get Mythtv to resize and add letterbox to the output
> so I can see the whole picture on my TV?

Myth does this always, unless it does not know your correct display
size. What resolution are you using, and do you have a DisplaySize
entry in your X configuration file?

I have a 4:3 TV and ALL of our programming here (in Aus) is 16:9.
(If the network transmits 4:3 material, they add vertical black bars
(pillarboxing) to make a 16:9 picture). Myth adds the horizontal
black bars (letterboxing). I'm running 720x576, though I have
previously used 800x600.

Hamish