[mythtv-users] 2.4 or 2.6 kernel?

Craig Read craigread at csi.com
Thu Dec 9 00:32:20 UTC 2004

Mike Frisch wrote:

>I am running Gentoo w/MythTV frontend/backend on minimal hardware
>(Celeron 800 or 867 overclocked to 1200) and am curious which kernel
>might provide better performance?

I think it depends on the tuner card and what sort of support it has.

I have a Twinhan VisionPlus and 2.6 kernel is best all the way.  I
played with it for months on the 2.4 kernel that came with the previous
release of KnoppMyth.  All I could ever receive was ABC and SBS.  I then
purchased a Teac STB and discovered that my reception problems weren't
environmental, but something with the Twinhan card.  At that point I was
ready to ebay the two Twinhan cards I have.

I threw a spare 40GB drive in the machine a couple of weeks ago,
installed the latest KnoppMyth, upgraded it to 2.6.9 kernel and got a
better picture than my Teac STB on most channels (and received some HD
channels my Teac STB couldn't).  But that's DVB and YMMV with whatever
card you're using.

Craig...