[mythtv-users] Use mplayer for watching recordings?

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Wed Dec 8 03:24:48 UTC 2004

Lane Schwartz wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 18:49:46 +0100, Christoffer Kjølbæk
><christoffer at kjoelbaek.dk> wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>Would it be possible to use mplayer for playing back recordings, instead
>>of the buildin player?
>>
>>The reason is, that if I record something, mythtv can't play it back,
>>without cracking it up. But, mplayer can play it just perfect. So, it
>>would be nice to use mplayer instead of the buildin.
>>
>>The same with watching live TV
>>

>That's very odd. What TV card and driver are you using?

I have the same problem with hdtv shows from ABC. Myth will not play the
audio correctly, it plays from the right speaker only with oss
emulation, native alsa plays the audio from same speaker but crackled.
Mplayer plays fine. I wrote a patch a few months ago so I could watch
ABC easily. It adds an Play w/External player option from the playback
menu. You could probably find my message on the gossamer archive.

- James