[mythtv-users] Dell OptiPlex for Myth front-end

Khanh Tran khanh at slc.edu
Tue Dec 7 22:47:12 UTC 2004

I maintain a college network that uses nothing but the Dell OptiPlex
hardware since 1999.  I'd suggest using nothing but the newer ones in
the gray charcoal/black colors.  I think the oldest of the black ones
are the GX150s.  The GX110s are the newest of the beige, lighter colored
cases.  Anything in the GX110 and older have loud hard drives that whine
like you wouldn't believe.  However, this isn't much of an issue since I
don't think anyone wants a MythTV system with the 10G or so hard drives
they came with.

Do yourself a favor and look at the Dell message forums (sorry, don't
know the link off-hand) about what Linux distros work or don't work.  I
had issues with the onboard video card not working in SuSE on one of the
newer desktop form-factor boxes.  This one didn't have AGP either.  They
do that to keep the small form factor for business use.  OptiPlexes are
their office line.  Dimensions are for their home users.

-Khanh