[mythtv-users] Can I play scaled HDTV content on a standard TV?

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Tue Dec 7 22:34:48 UTC 2004

> Is it possible, using Myth, to watch TV shows recorded using a pcHDTV
> 3000 on an standard television set?

Yes, and yes, it does look better than broadcast SDTV in my
experience.

Before I got my HDTV, I had an HD-2000 card feeding my mythbox with an
attached SDTV for several months.  The quality of the HDTV image was
noticeably better to my eyes than that of the SDTV image on the
associated SD channel.

I think TV broadcasters purposely "fuzz" the NTSC image to make it
look better on all kinds of sets---including improperly-tuned
ones---but this results in a loss of clarity.  OTOH, downconverting
the HD image to SD on my computer sacrificed less of the image
quality, resulting in more perceptible detail even from the same
resolution screen.

Nonetheless, a real HDTV is what you want.  Eventually. :)

Cheers,
Kyle