[mythtv-users] pcHDTV 3000 Which video card to use with

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Dec 6 22:41:06 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 03:19:01PM -0700, Brian Merrill wrote:
> If memory serves me right, the GeForce4 MX are slightly newer than the
> Ti's, hence the added video acceleration, but only support a lower
> DirectX feature set, i.e. DirectX 7 whereas the GF4 Ti cards support a
> DirectX 8 feature set and are probably a little faster.  However, I
> would just buy a NVidia FX5200.  You could probably get one for close to
> the same price as a GeForce4 MX and you would have the benefit of a much
> faster card for gaming, a DirectX 9 feature set and the latest hardware
> video acceleration.

You can get 5200 cards on the web for about $50, with DVI output, which
is what I did.

But I must say it's been a nightmare.  NVidia's drivers create all sorts
of problems with the latest kernels and other unusual kernels, including
hard system crashes, xvideo not working and xvmc not working.

If you want xvmc in myth, from what I have seen the precompiled debs and
RPMs you will find don't have it built in, am I wrong about this?  You will
need to compile your myth from source.

Because of this, I have not yet actually run myth with xvmc, but many
people report a lot of problems with it.

The 5200 with xvmc in mplayer however is, when it works, quite good,
quite tolerable CPU usage and a smooth display.

Finally, I can't get my 5200 to drive my HDTV under linux, though it is
able to under powerstrip.  Some driver problem.  Must be unique to
my TV though since I have not heard as many folks complain.