[mythtv-users] Recording a tape to DVD

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Mon Dec 6 14:13:05 UTC 2004

>>     The biggest problem that I've had with doing this is recording
>> profiles.  I suspect I'm still a bit ignorant on how they work, but adding
>> another set of recording profiles certainly didn't do what I was
>> expecting.  Also, I haven't found how to choose a recording profile in
>> Manual scheduling, so I have to temporarily make the 'Default' profile
>> with the settings I want (704x480 @ 4500/6000 right now).
>>

> I do exactly the same as you to record VHS.  If you want to change the
> parameters of the recording (e.g. change the profile), you can first set up
> the manual record, then go into "recording priorities" or "fix conflicts" and
> edit the options there.

 	Yes, I figured that out, but it does have a big problem.  You
can't let it start recording until you've set the parameters like that.
Basically, it requires you to set a manual recording to start for some
number of minutes in the future (depending on how many "prerecord" seconds
you've got set it setup).  Then you'll have to quickly exit and change the
recording parameters before it starts recording.  Finally, you'll want to
fire up the tape in a few minutes when it finally does start recording.
Not exactly graceful or accurate.

 	I think what would be good would be the ability to mimic the
'Record' button of a VCR.  I don't think it would be too tough with
facilities already present in MythTV.  I'm thinking of something like
pulling up the pseudo-channel in the EPG, and it'll have 'Unknown' (since
there's no listing for your VCR).  If you hit 'R' from there, it'll
immediately start recording and pull up a 'Manual Recording Options' to
allow setting the stop time.  Simple, crude, and completely reasonable for
manual, unscheduled recordings.

 	One other question someone might be able to answer along these
lines.  This bogus channel I've added ("Channel 99 is a 'CoryAUX' lineup)
is mapped to the Composite4 on my PVR-250.  It shows up in the EPG, but I
cannot change channels to it.  It would be nice to be able to WatchTV on
the bogus channel as a monitor while queuing up the tape (even though it's
a few seconds' time-shifted).  Any thoughts on why it won't let me change
to this channel?

-Cory