[mythtv-users] Epia, MythTV, and a pile of confusion

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Sat Dec 4 00:32:28 UTC 2004

At 22:37 03/12/2004, you wrote:
>Jarod,
>Thanks for the help all this way.  I think I am
>getting it figured out.  I am a Gentoo man so I just
>can't let myself go back to using RH.  It looks like
>this ebuild for xorg contains the libXvMC stuff that I
>need for the hardware decoding and also the unichrome
>drivers.  It doesn't say if they are the 3d drivers or
>not but if they aren't I won't cry about it.

I think the gentoo folks sometimes roll alot of patches from CVS into their
ebuild tarballs, so I wouldn't be surprised if unichrome had made it into
the "production" ebuild, although there's nothing about it in the changelog.

>What window manager would you recommend I use.  Part
>of the reason I want to redo this machine is because
>KDE was a beast for this machine.

KDE is especially a beast on gentoo, what with the usual 9 month compile
time ;) I'm very happy with fluxbox, which is small, lightweight and very
extensible, and if Myth is all you need it will suit you admirably. If
you're willing to be more adventurous, there's even lighter weight WM's out
there like ratpoison. Then you can take all the junky stuff like KDE out of
your USE flags and save yourself a boatload of compiling.