[mythtv-users] Nebie here...

jlartz junk_inbox at comcast.net
Fri Dec 3 22:33:41 UTC 2004

Thanks to all of you for your kind and informative replies!  I have to say
that this is the most polite and helpful newsgroup that I subscribe to.
Kudos to all of you!  Great software, and Great Support!

Anyways, I've decided to use Jarod's step-by-step guide on wilsonet.com ...
I would like to go through the complete install experience.  Although it
will take longer to do, at least I'll learn more about Linux along the way.
I would get started right now, but I'm currently 1500 miles away from home
(and all my spare computer equipment) caring for my Mother who is ill.  So I
can't start on things until I get back home (which may be a month or more
depending on how things work out here).  But on the plus side, I'll have
pleanty of time to read the guides in the mean time.  So by the time I start
putting things together I should have a pretty good idea of what I need to
do.

  One more question -- I *think* I read somewhere that people have
successfully built an IR blaster and a config file for 'irsend'(?) to
control a dish network DishPlayer 7100/7200 receiver... Is that true?  I
know that the DP uses either a different carrier frequency or different
wavelength IR LED, because very few 'universal' remotes work with it, even
the
'learning' ones don't work properly because of this.  If I have to, I can
build something like Travis' suggestion of a parallel-port 'hack' to control
the receiver.  (I'm fluent in digital electronics too...)

Thanks again...  I'll be lurking until I can get back home to my hardware to
start building my computer hardware again, but thanks again!  ;-)

Jeff