[mythtv-users] Several General Questions

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Dec 3 08:38:53 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 11:51:22PM -0800, Ian Forde wrote:
> Heh.  I've had my Tivo go belly-up quite a few times.  When the original
> hard drive started failing, it would occasionally green-screen.  Then
> one day it just out-and-out died. ;)

Well, I don't know many systems that can survive the hard drive failure
unles you plan to RAID.

The Tivo does crash sometimes, about 2 or 3 times a year for me.  But I
use it a lot.   In my playing with myth, it crashes many more times a
DAY.   I am hoping to get it to a much more stable state than that.

Now let me correct and say that it's not always myth that's causing
trouble.  Just now, all video went to a blue screen.  But that wasn't
just myth, that was xvideo/nvidia.  Mplayer went into the same state,
restarting X did nothing, I had to remove the nvidia module from the kernel
and put it back in.  First time for that bug and I hope it's rare, but
it came while I was using Myth.

Linux is on its own very stable but when you start playing fancy games with
video drivers, tuner cards, sound driver games and new cards with unstable
drivers, it's a different story.

Like i said, Myth is on the right path which is why we are supporting it.
But I am certainly unconvinced it's there yet, and probably will alter my
plan to give the family myth boxes and switch to beyond tv boxes even though
it means putting ... windows ... on the machines.

Can't give them Tivos, they are in Canada, gotta be Myth, BeyondTV or something
using xmltv.