[mythtv-users] Frontend vs. backend: Which one needs to be faster?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Dec 1 23:11:12 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 14:55, Mark Gardner wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 17:07 -0500, Khanh Tran wrote:
> > > Yes, in almost all cases the frontend needs to be faster.
>
> I hate to hijack the thread

Then don't, start a new one. ;-)

> but i'm just curious.  I just bought a PVR
> 350 card and have a Athlon XP 2400 w/ 512 Ram.   Will that be enough
> to watch live TV?

If you're using the 350 for output, you don't need more than a 400MHz box to
watch live TV. It does all the decoding work for you, so yes, a 2400 is
enough. And if you aren't using the 350 for output, I've got an Athlon 800
that plays back PVR-x50 recordings just fine.

Someone really ought to write a really-detailed low-down on Myth hardware
requirements for as many scenarios as we can come up with that we can point
people to, since this is a very FAQ. Did I just volunteer myself? Maybe...

> and will that be enough to record one show while
> watching a second(pre recorded)

Yes, the encode and decode functions are independent of one another, so you
can capture a stream and play back a stream at the same time. You can NOT
record a show and watch live TV at the same time with only a PVR-350 (that
would be two simultaneous captures and one playback).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...