[mythtv-users] Re: what cards and tools

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Dec 1 00:06:04 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 15:36, WJCarpenter wrote:
> That reminds me ... can someone clear up whether the FX 5200 has
> hardware decoding?

I'll try...

> I didn't see any clear mention of it on the nVidia
> web site, but the popularity of this card leaves me wondering.  Is it
> popular just because of its good TV output, or does it have
> unadvertised decoding, too?

When using the nvidia driver, nVidia cards have the best Xv acceleration of
any card out there. The FX 5200 is a bit faster than an MX card, for not
much . It isn't anywhere near being a hardware decoder, but helps
considerably. Then there's XvMC, which does even more to accelerate video
decode and display, much closer to being an actual hardware decoder, but not
quite, and not entirely stable with HDTV. Or something like that.

I'm not certain on the FX series, but for the 4 MX series, it actually said in
the product pages that there was a hardware mpeg2 decoder. I *think* that's
in the FX also. Support just isn't fully implemented in the Linux driver
though, all we've got is XvMC, which I believe may interface with it on some
level, like how the Unichrome XvMC driver interfaces with the cle266 decoder.
A certain someone who works at nVidia might be able to clarify things better
than me though...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com