[mythtv-users] still no sound - the sequel...

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Tue Aug 31 19:33:17 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 16:12, David George wrote:
> On 8/31/2004 3:07 PM, James Pifer wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 14:29, David George wrote:
> >

> >>Wierd.  I use kernel 2.6.7 so my install is a little different, but I
> >>just looked at the 2.4 Makefile to see what it was doing.  Yes, it will
> >>still give you the warning.  This is because the makefile for 2.4 copies
> >>the ivtv .o files to kernel/drivers/media/video and then checks to see
> >>if msp3400.o exists (it should check first).  Anyway it is finding the
> >>ivtv version that it just copied there, so don't move or rename it even
> >>though the makefile tells you to.  Then run depmod.  You can also
> >>install by hand by typing the following:
> >>
> >>install -m 0644 msp3400.o saa7115.o tveeprom.o ivtv.o saa7127.o
> >>/lib/modules/2.4.20-31.9/kernel/drivers/media/video
> >>depmod -aq
> >>
> >>Let me know if it still doesn't work.
> >>

> >Another reboot and now it's working ok. Not sure what the problem was
> >but thanks for your help. Now on to adding the 250...
> >

> No problem.  I have also sent a patch removing the bogus msp3400
> conflict message to the ivtv list.  If anyone is interested here is a
> link to their archives: http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Aug-2004/msg00534.html
>
> --
> David

David,

Maybe you can help me with this one. Now that my original card is
working ok, I'm trying to add my new PVR250. With both cards installed I
can cat from both devices like:
cat /dev/video0 > test0.mpg
cat /dev/video1 > test1.mpg

I can then watch each of those files with mplayer.

When I run mythfrontend I can start LiveTV (I assume off the original
card but I'm not sure) if I try to hit 'V' for PIP I get this repeated
error on the backend:
error reading from: /dev/video1
read: Device or resource busy

Also, when I do an lspci -vv I get:
00:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC15
MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device 4000
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-

00:0d.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc: Unknown
device 0016 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device 4009
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-

I'm pretty sure the first one is my original card. The second comes up
as Unknown device. When ivtv loads it seems to see it ok according to
what I find in /var/log/messages.

Any suggestions on when it says device busy?

Thanks,
James