[mythtv-users] RE: Problems starting X with PVR 350

Daniel Savard dsavard at cids.ca
Sat Aug 28 11:37:39 EDT 2004

Le sam 28/08/2004 à 09:17, Martin Ravell a écrit :
> For some reason my ivtv drivers do not seem to be loading at startup.
>

> >From a clean boot I do an lsmod and get the output as at :
>

> http://www.rave-tech.com.au/mythtv/lsmod
>

> If I do a 'modprobe ivtv' and then another lsmod I get :
>

> http://www.rave-tech.com.au/mythtv/modprobe+lsmod
>

> This looks to me if the ivtv drivers are being loaded correctly with the
> modprobe. Can someone confirm that this is a reasonable assumption? (if this
> is obvious please bear in mind that I am no linux techie)

Yes, they seems loaded correctly from the messages file.

> I am able to capture video as per Jarod's guide and can successfully dd it
> straight to the television (pretty pictures).

This confirms they are loaded and working.

> What I cannot seem to do is get X running.
>

> If I boot and then modprobe ivtv can I then try to get it to load X? What
> command do I use?

startx or xinit from the command line for testing. The X server output
messages will go in the /var/log/XFree86.(display number).log and maybe
useful for debugging the problem.

> Am I correct in thinking that the ivtv drivers should be loaded on startup
> given my config? (http://www.rave-tech.com.au/mythtv/)

No, depends on kernel configuration and initscripts. In the worst case,
just doing a modprobe in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file will load it at
boot time. Your only real problem is with your X configuration.

> Grepping through /var/log/messages (after a boot but before doing a
> 'modprobe ivtv') I notice the last lines are :
>

> Aug 28 22:20:34 porky modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module fb0
>
> Aug 28 22:20:35 porky gdm[5059]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error -
> Restarting:0
>
> Aug 28 22:20:35 porky modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module fb0
>
> Aug 28 22:20:36 porky gdm[5073]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error -
> Restarting:0
>
> Aug 28 22:20:39 porky modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module fb0
>
> Aug 28 22:20:40 porky gdm[5078]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error -
> Restarting:0
>
> Aug 28 22:20:43 porky modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module fb0
>
> Aug 28 22:20:44 porky gdm[5095]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error -
> Restarting:0
>
> Aug 28 22:20:44 porky gdm[4999]: deal_with_x_crashes: Running the
> XKeepsCrashing script
>
> Aug 28 22:20:53 porky gdm[4999]: Failed to start X server several times in a
> short time period; disabling display :0

This is related to a wrong X configuration leading to the server crash.
Seems it is trying to use the wrong driver as the framebuffer. And this
is directly related to the Device section in your XF86Config.

>From this section, I suppose you have downloaded the ivtvdev_drv.o
driver from this URL: http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz/ivtvdev_drv.o.gz
and have ungzipped it and moved it to the
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ directory.

Maybe you have it wrong with the BusID? What is you lspci output?

Also, I must admit I don't run a 2.4 kernel, neither a ivtv 0.1.9
driver, I have switched to latest unstable ivtv driver. So, there may be
some patches to apply and also the http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz page
add to the confusion redirecting you to the following URL:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hverkuil/ for the latest stable ivtv driver and
patches where you can found unstable stuff as well...