[mythtv-users] M-Audio, VIA Chipset, DVD burning, iTunes Rendezvous

Ben Fineman ben at benfineman.com
Thu Aug 26 12:05:30 EDT 2004

I have a few questions, and although I am both a Linux and MythTV noob,
I have been hanging about this mailing list (and archives!) for a couple
of months now and have done a couple of (failed) MythTV install
attempts, so I'll try to ask intelligent questions.

1) I have read many people recommending the M-Audio Revolution as one of
the best cards for MythTV, but I have not actually read posts from
anyone that is using one successfully, specifically with the digital
output. If you are using this card with the digital out, how is the
performance with Myth? How hard was getting it to work?

2) I have read a couple of vague posts about issues with "VIA chipsets
on old AMD boards"...can someone elaborate on this? Specifically, I am
looking to build my system from an old VIA KT133 board. Am I asking for
trouble?

3) What is the status of DVD burning from within the MythTV interface?
Specifically, the ability to burn "perfect" rips from MythDVD. I have
read that this is possible using things external to MythDVD, but I'm
talking a big "BURN DVD" button in either the MythDVD application or
maybe in MythVideo. If I'm backing up my entire physical collection to
hard disk I would like to have the ability to (easily) replace lost or
damaged disks. I understand about the loss of menus/extras, and this is
fine.

4) What is the status of playing remote iTunes playlists via rendezvous
in MythMusic? I've read this feature was being worked on but I'm not
sure how far it's gotten.

I think that's it for now although I'm sure there will be more as the
project progresses....thanks for your input!

Ben Fineman