[mythtv-users] [ALSA] "Skipping" arround a show causes an Abort (or segfault).

Wed Aug 25 12:04:16 EDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, David George wrote:

> On 8/21/2004 7:17 PM, John Patrick Poet wrote:
>
> > When using "pure" ALSA via my S/PDIF connection for audio, I get
> > segfaults/aborts in the ALSA code if I "JUMP/SKIP" arround in the video
> > very much.  I am using ALSA 1.0.5 since ALSA 1.0.6 has audio glitches.
> >
> > If I use OSS emulation, the Aborts/Segfaults do not happen, but I get
> > several seconds of stuttering after a JUMP/SKIP which I do not get with
> > "pure" ALSA.
> >
> > The crashes do not happen on every SKIP forward/backward, but they do
> > happen often.  With one particular show, I can consitantly cause a crash
> > by doing a dozen 30 second forward skips quickly, and then a couple of 6
> > second skips backwards.
>
> I really beat on my system last night trying to duplicate this, but
> can't.  I tried 12 forward 30s skips and a couple of 6s back skips and
> even more severe combinations and couldn't get mine to fail.
>
> What type of source are these recordings coming from (satellite, cable,
> OTA)?  Are they HD?  I only tried SD recordings (cable and satellite)
> because I still haven't upgraded my CPU to play HD without audio dropouts.
>
> --
> David

Sorry, at this point I am thinking I have partially lead you down the wrong
path.

My local NBC affiliate literally turned on their HD feed as the Olympic
Opening Ceremonies started.  I have not watched anything but Olympics since
then.  All of these problems have only been with the NBC HD Olympic
programs.

Last night, I actually watched another program, from another channel, that I
had recorded before the Olympics started.  No problems.  I tried watching a
few other programs I had recorded from other channels.  No problems.

It looks like this issue may *only* be with the NBC HD feed.

I have been using OSS emulation for the last few days, since a few seconds
of stuttering, after a skip, is more tolerable than a core dump.  I will try
going back to pure ALSA, and watching those other shows.  I will then see if
the NBC HD shows still invoke the problem.

Thank you for looking into the problem.

John