[mythtv-users] [Request] Channel guide behavior while watching TV

Malcolm Smith malc at porsche.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 10:36:04 EDT 2004

> However, being the greedy user that I am, I have found some
> functionality that I would change slightly or that *I* believe is
> missing.  I believe this is the proper forum to discuss this.
>

> The first thing that I've noticed that I would like to request a small
> change to seems relatively simple on the surface:

I think you will find it signfniciantly more complex once you delve into it.

AIUI the US system of TV (I'm UK based) is that channel 1 is channel 1 no
matter what, if I select 1 then I will always get the same program.

Not so in the rest of the world. By _convention_ in the UK analogue TV
uses 1 for BBC1, 2 BBC2 etc, but that relies on the user tuning their TVs
as such.

With the advent of different distribution systems the channel number
required to get a specific channel is different, as is the selection of
available channels, so
BBC1 is 1 on analogue, 1 on DVB-T, 1 or 101 or 401 on DVB-C dependent on
the distributor, 101? on DVB-S (Astra) etc etc.

Take into account the 400+ channels now available in the UK and you have a
nightmare!

xmltvid's are the closest thing to a unqiue identifier that has been created.

> Tuner card 1 is set up for basic cable and uses the native tuner to
> change channels
>
> Tuner card 2 is setup for digital cable and is using the dct-channel
> program to change my digital cable box's channel.
>

> Obviously, one tuner has access to many, many more channels than the
> other.

The Bodge solution is to create 2 video sources and link them to seperate
devices. This will permit you to only tune to channels available on that
tuner. Doesn't work well on Live TV watching, but OK on recording mode.

You will get scheduling difficulties with duplicates of every channel...

> When watching TV on Tuner card 1, I have access to 2-85 but the Channel
> Guide will show me all my channels.  When I switch find a show above the
> 85 and select it in the channel guide, it will not change and I get no
> message on the screen.
>

> Would it be possible to a) only show those channels accessible on the
> current tuner card in the guide or better yet b) change to the
> appropriate card if it is available.

IMHO: We need a Tuners capability table that describes the channels
available on each tuner (and the preference of that tuner for the
channel). (Could be extra fields on the channel table).

Thoughts anyone?

-malc-