[mythtv-users] Images and Scaling

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Tue Aug 24 11:19:56 EDT 2004

Nathan Ziarek wrote:
> Can someone just talk me through this:
>
> I am running Myth at 1024x576. When I do that, the words and text come out
> fine, but the images (icons, not video which I haven't tried yet) seem
> squashed. When myth starts it always does the pre-scaling images thing -
> what exactly is happening when it does that, and as a theme designer, is
> there something I can do to make sure that my images are not squished (or
> stretched) when someone is running a 16:9 resolution?

Yes, you're correct.  Everything is squished.  MythTV's UI parameters
are in terms of a 800x600 window, and the graphics and coordinates are
scaled to meet the actual window size.  If the screen is not 4:3, the X
and Y values are scaled separately.  For some themes this doesn't matter
much; for others (try blue sometimes) it looks just awful.

Unfortunately, some structural graphics elements (background, frame
borders, etc.) need to be scaled like this, whereas others (buttons,
icons, thumbnails) should really be scaled the same in X and Y.  It
should be possible for Myth to honor a tag added to the images in the
XML theme files to do this right.  But as for right now, the only way
would be to make a special 16:9 theme with the images pre-distorted in
the opposite manner (i.e. too tall).

-Doug