[mythtv-users] RE: Problems starting X with PVR 350

Daniel Savard dsavard at cids.ca
Sun Aug 22 12:47:58 EDT 2004

Le dim 22/08/2004 à 08:51, Michael T. Dean a écrit :
> On 08/21/2004 01:25 PM, Robert Kulagowski wrote:
>
> >> thanks a lot for all the clarifications never ever found on any
> >> website about the ivtv driver behavior.
> >>
> >> So, things were simplified, but the doc is lagging behind and
> >> contribute to make things complicates or even break the whole thing.
> >
> > Well, if you're talking about the ck series of ivtv patches, I think
> > that someone was stepping forward on the IVTV mailing list with an
> > IVTV docs wiki to try to pull together the new information.  I haven't
> > updated the MythTV HOWTO because it's still accurate for the released
> > version of ivtv.  I don't know if tmk is going to release a new
> > version of his driver, pick one of ck's versions and bless it as
> > "official" or what.  Once that gets resolved I'll make the appropriate
> > changes.
>
> I agree--it's not yet time to update the MythTV HOWTO for the new ck
> series.  And, that means that there's not much in the way of
> documentation for them.  As a matter of fact, even the IvyTV WIKI hasn't
> been updated for the new development releases.
>
> Since the ck patches are development versions--and are changing very
> quickly--about the only way to stay abreast of the changes is to
> subscribe to and read the messages on the ivtv ML's.  Unfortunately,
> doing so takes a lot of time.  Fortunately, there are a few people who
> do read them that don't mind answering questions about them from people
> who aren't reading the lists.
>
> The best documentation for the ck series currently exists in the doc
> directory of the patched source code (taken from a collaborative
> effort--spearheaded by and most of the work done by David Greaves--to
> update the docs through the MythTV WIKI at
> http://mythtv.info/moin.cgi/IvTv_2fPreRelease10Docs ).  Unfortunately,
> since these were done at the end of the ck80's--when Hans was pushing
> for an ivtv-0.1.10pre3 release--they're somewhat out of date.  (Note,
> also, that the reason there wasn't a pre3 release has more to do with
> the hardware than the drivers--Chris and Hans decided that it would be
> better to make some major, but necessary, changes before the next pre
> release, and it's taking time to complete the changes.)
>
> Mike

Well, I understand your position. However, for all us poor guys who are
trying to make our latest toy to work, there is a lot of informations on
the web that is adding to the overall confusion. And, sometimes we hit
something like a strong suggestion to move to 0.1.10pre2 series of ivtv
drivers to solve a particular problem. Then, we are doing it keeping all
the stuff previously setup with some info which seems accurate after
googling a while (sometimes a few days). It is not always easy to
discriminate which info is up-to-date and which is not. Also, there is
some instructions on some sites which seems to apply to particular
distros and so on... And sometimes, the doc and README are not updated
and it's not always obvious which one is true. (And add ALSA support
problems to it and a few other pieces of software).

So, making everything working can be compared to the quest for the
Graal...

This is it!