[mythtv-users] Xbox frontend version question

Jamison Ables mythlist at alltel.net
Fri Aug 20 17:23:41 EDT 2004

M wrote:

>So I have decided to try to build an Xbox frontend for
>my bitchin-cool Myth setup.  My question is:  which
>version Xbox have users on this list successfully
>built Myth on?  I have seen reports that the newest
>version of the Xbox (v1.6) isnt compatible?
>
>TIA

I have 2 xboxs that I'm using for mythfrontends. Both of them are
version 1.0. I would recommend an older one. One of them has a modchip
and a larger drive. The other is completely original never been open. I
use MythTV-XBox http://bit.blkbk.com/ on both of them and recommend
that. The xbox only has 64megs of ram and all of its performance
problems seem to stem from that. I have read that ones with 128megs have
a hard time with KDE so I wouldn't mess with that. Don't get me wrong it
really does a good job but it could be a little bit better. (98%-99% ie
very close) I use my xboxs for almost all of my tv viewing at this point
so it must not be 2 bad. ;) If I were you I would go to a  local
Electronics Boutique or similar and pick up a used or refurb xbox. I
recently did this. I bought a game to mod it, the xbox  and a remote and
I had less than 180 in the package. Toss in svideo and optical out and
your at just 200 bucks which i think is a great deal.   (You could also
rent the game but i just bought it because it was like 15 bucks. ) On to
the different version. Going from memory 1.0 - 1.4  are the most
compatible. The 1.5 are gaining support all the time and it if it
doesn't work yet it should soon.  The 1.6's on the hand are new and
lacking in the support area.

Jamison