[mythtv-users] RE: Problems starting X with PVR 350

Daniel Savard dsavard at cids.ca
Fri Aug 20 11:49:01 EDT 2004

Le ven 20/08/2004 à 09:08, Martin Ravell a écrit :

> There doesn't seem to be any file called modules.txt in the package I have.
> >From various forums and mail logs I gather that the tuner type for PAL is 5.
> I've tried this but the above errors are what I get.

Of course, the tuner type has nothing to do with your problem, just a
side note to avoid you another future problem.

> I added the ivtv_debug=3 as suggested and will now copy conf and log files
> to the usual URL in case you have a moment to take a look.

Reboot and look in the log for a section clearly marked with a starter
header like this:

Aug 18 17:23:42 pvr ivtv: ==================== START INIT IVTV
====================
Aug 18 17:23:42 pvr ivtv: version 0.1.10 (0.1.10pre2-ck100b) loading

and terminated with the following banner:

Aug 18 17:23:42 pvr ivtv: ====================  END INIT IVTV
====================

BTW, which version of the driver do you use? I am not sure if 0.1.9 is
able to do X on TV-out. Maybe someone else can confirm this?

> Would you mind sharing your modules.conf and XF86Config with me (presumably
> you have the X on framebuffer working).

I am running Gentoo, so, here is my /etc/modules.d/ivtv file:

alias char-major-61   lirc_i2c
alias char-major-81   videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv

options ivtv ivtv_debug=0 mpg_buffers=90

#type=2 for NTSC only
options tuner type=2
options saa7127 enable_output=1 output_select=0
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1 debug=2
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 saa7127 tuner
add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c ivtv-fb

My ivtvdev_drv.o is located in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers

Relevant sections in my XF86Config file:

Section "Module"

    Load        "dbe"   # Double buffer extension

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
    SubSection  "extmod"
      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA
extension
    EndSubSection

    Load        "v4l"
    Load        "type1"
    Load        "speedo"
    Load       "glx"
    Load       "dri"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "NTSC Monitor"
    HorizSync  30-68
    VertRefresh 50-120
    Mode "720x480"
        # D: 34.563 MHz, H: 37.244 kHz, V: 73.897 Hz
        DotClock 34.564
        HTimings 720 752 840 928
        VTimings 480 484 488 504
        Flags    "-HSync" "-VSync"
    EndMode
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Hauppauge PVR 350 iTVC15 Framebuffer"
    Driver      "ivtvdev"
    # Modify if using another device
    Option      "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
    # Obtain from lspci
    BusID       "02:00:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "TV JVC"
    Device      "Hauppauge PVR 350 iTVC15 Framebuffer"
    Monitor     "NTSC Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    DefaultFbbpp 32
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth 24
        FbBpp 32
        Modes "720x480"
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"

# The Identifier line must be present
    Identifier  "Simple Layout"
    Screen 0 "TV JVC"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

EndSection

> I seriously do not remember being this frustrated with something for a long
> time. Granted I'm not a Linux guru but damn this is annoying!

I know what you mean...