[mythtv-users] recording blank, only with mythtv

Henrik Bentel hbentel at comcast.net
Fri Aug 20 02:03:53 EDT 2004

Hi

I have strange problem. If I cat out /dev/video0 to a file, I can play it
using mplayer. If I just watch live TV using mythfrontend everything is
just fine.
BUT, if I record with mythtv, even just a minute, mythtv records only
blank/black. And if I go back and cat out /dev/video0 again into file it
also now records blank/black.
I have a script that I run as part of rc.local which runs 5-6 test_ioctl
commands (sets width, height, frequency, input, output, tuner, etc). If I
run this script manually after recording goes blank,  everything is fine
again. But as soon as I record something using mythtv, it seems something
gets unset or set incorrectly and I record nothing but blank.

When a recording starts I see in message log messages indicating mythtv is
resetting some settings. The messages are "setting NTSC width" and "setting
NTSC height".
These are the same messages that show up if I run my script containing the
test_ioctl commands manually.

I've had mythtv up and running just fine since 0.13. Due to crappy maxtor
drive saying good night I recently had to reinstall(Only Seagate w/5 year
warranty from now on).
Luckily I was able to backup the DB, all important config files from /etc
and mythtv users home directory. So my software configuration is pretty
much identical to before the reinstall. And my hardware(except the maxtor)
is also identical.

any ideas?

thanks,
Henrik Bentel