[mythtv-users] RE: Problems starting X with PVR 350

Martin Ravell martin.ravell at rave-tech.com.au
Thu Aug 19 20:18:47 EDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Savard
Sent: Friday, 20 August 2004 1:13 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Problems starting X with PVR 350

Le jeu 19/08/2004 à 06:31, Martin Ravell a écrit :
> I'm banging my head against the wall a little here trying to get my PVR
350
> working with X on the framebuffer and would appreciate a hand.
>
> Here is the rig :
>
> Intel motherboard
> P4 2.4 Gig
> 512Mb
> Hauppage PVR 350
>
> Fedora Core 1
> 2.4.22-1.2197.nptl_51.rhfc1.at
>
> I'm in Sydney, Australia and therefore using PAL.
>
> Setup is via Jarod's guide with apt-get and copies of the config files can
> be found at http://www.rave-tech.com.au/mythtv/
>
> Now, the message I'm getting is that the X server cannot be started :
>
>   open /dev/fb0: No such device
>   No devices detected
>

> Now, a 'cat /var/log/messages |grep "iTVC15 TV out"', returns :
>
> Aug 19 17:43:37 porky kernel: fb0: iTVC15 TV out frame buffer device
>

> I'm guessing that the issue could have something to do with the BusID
> setting in XF86Config.
>
> an lspci -v returns :
>
> 02:02.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC15
MPEG-2
> Encoder (rev 01)
>             Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR-350
>             Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 3
>             Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
>             Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>

> Am I correct in thinking that this translates into :
>
>       BusID "2:0x02:0"
>
> in my XF86Config file? I've tried various values here just in case I am
> completely missing the plot.
>
> I know that the card is good. It captures just fine.
>

> Any thoughts as to what would cause the error?
>

> Regards
> Marty
>

>You should have a Device section looking like the following, notice the
>Driver line ivtvdev rather than fbdev, but the Option is still fbdev,
>where the device should be the one reported in the syslog.
>
>You will need the ivtvdev_drv.o file and put it in the driver directory
>for X11 where it can be found by your X server. This driver can be
>downloaded from: http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz/
>
>Section "Device"
>    Identifier  "Hauppauge PVR 350 iTVC15 Framebuffer"
>    Driver      "ivtvdev"
>    # Modify if using another device
>    Option      "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
>    # Obtain from lspci
>    BusID       "02:00:0"
>EndSection
>
>Also, I think you may have to load the ivtv-fb module, if not already
>done.
>
>--
>
>=======================================
>Daniel Savard
>
>=======================================

I grabbed the ivtvdev driver and modified XF86Config to refer to it as
suggested. (I just pulled the 'Binary version of the X driver' link).

This gave me a :

Duplicate symbol fbdevHWEnterVT

I quick google seemed to suggest that this was a problem with loading
fbdevhw earlier on in the Module section.

Commenting it (the Load "fbdevhw" statement) in XF86Config seems to get rid
of that problem but I still get the following in my log :

(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such device
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
No screens found

Relevant conf and log files updated to http://www.rave-tech.com.au/mythtv/

Apologies if this is getting OT for the Myth list. Should I be taking this
over to ivtv?

Regards
Marty