[mythtv-users] DVICO FusionHDTV III QAM card

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Aug 18 21:15:28 EDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 04:00:07PM -0600, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 03:14:10PM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 11:23:04AM -0600, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> > > To note, the HD-3000 card from pcHDTV coming out in a few weeks _Will_
> > > have QAM support, but QAM is only good if the stream provider is not
> > > encrypting their channels, which many do.
> >
> > To follow up on that, it *sounds* like you're suggesting that the 3000
> > could be hooked up to digital cable, and might be able to be convinced
> > to decode such (sub-)channels as are not encrypted.  Is that what you
> > mean?
> >
> > If a (sub-)channel's data stream *was* encrypted, how would you tell?
> > Cause it wasn't a valid MPEG stream?  Am I the only one on the list who
> > gives a crap about digital cable?  ;-)
>
> Yes, the HD-3000 and HD-2000 cards can be hooked up to digital cable and
> receive everything.  You know if the channel is encrypted because it's
> garbage to an normal mpeg decoder.  Let me correct my statement, the
> channel data is readable, but the audio/video streams are encypted and
> garbage to us.

Let me pry my clarification one more layer deep: you're saying that the
transport stream is readable and correct, but the enclosed program
streams are encrypted (meaning that the entire PS including framing is
within the encryption)?

>                  USDTV sends encrypted Digital (NON HD) channels OTA.
> Myth chokes and dies a horrible death if you try to decode it (Which can
> be quite annoying if a regular HD station is broadcasting their leased
> bandwidth to USDTV on their first program channel).
>
> No, you're not the only one who cares about it, it's just that HDTV is
> new and those devs working on it don't seem to have HD cable.

But again, I'm not all *that* interested in the HD channels.  It's the
billion and six *basic digital* channels (Discovery Wings, etc) that
I'm after.  And they stand a better chance of not being encrypted.

I think.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi