[mythtv-users] Re: Re: Transcoding... first blood (Transcoding resulted in larger file)

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Aug 18 18:03:04 EDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 01:07:22PM -0700, Chris Vargas wrote:
> --- Jay Ashworth wrote:
>
> >> If you want to make a DVD from your recordings,
> >> and you're using a PVR-250 or -350, your
> >> recordings are already in MPEG2 format, so there's
> >> no real need to transcode.
> >
> > I believe that's only true if your recording
> > settings are 720x480, no?
>
> That's the setting that's probably most widely
> accepted by DVD authoring programs. Other allowable
> resolutions are 704x480, 352x480, and 352x240,
> according to the DVD FAQ. I've definitely used 352x480
> and 352x240 for DVD authoring.
>
> You'd be better off creating new recording profiles,
> or modifying the ones that are there, and using those
> resolutions, rather than transcoding. Transcoding is
> time-consuming, and you're recompressing an
> already-compressed file. Of course, for things that
> are already recorded, transcoding may be the only
> option.

Well, in *my* case, my target is to transcode to Divx5/Xvid for space
purposes, but I'd like to keep the full frame resolution.

> >> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-
> >>21.html#ss21.13
> >
> > That entry is a little rough on how to *change*
> > which one's the default; important to us PVR
> > people. Any expansion?
>
> The Transcoding options are in the
> Setup->TV->Recording Profiles->Transcoding menu (I
> think I have that right... not right in front of it so
> can't say for sure).
>
> I changed my profile for MPEG2 so that it transcodes
> to MPEG4 instead of RTJPEG.

Oh.  The profiles in that list are named after the *type of source
file*.  That's the part that wasn't clear; thanks.

> Re: the MPEG2 cut list scripts:
>
> > But you'd have to run this externally to Myth,
> right?
>
> Right. Ideally, there would be an option for MPEG2
> files that would just chop the commercials out rather
> than transcode. Until then I guess we have to use
> external scripts.

As noted.

Thanks.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi