[mythtv-users] DVICO FusionHDTV III QAM card

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Wed Aug 18 18:00:07 EDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 03:14:10PM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 11:23:04AM -0600, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> > To note, the HD-3000 card from pcHDTV coming out in a few weeks _Will_
> > have QAM support, but QAM is only good if the stream provider is not
> > encrypting their channels, which many do.
>
> To follow up on that, it *sounds* like you're suggesting that the 3000
> could be hooked up to digital cable, and might be able to be convinced
> to decode such (sub-)channels as are not encrypted.  Is that what you
> mean?
>
> If a (sub-)channel's data stream *was* encrypted, how would you tell?
> Cause it wasn't a valid MPEG stream?  Am I the only one on the list who
> gives a crap about digital cable?  ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

Yes, the HD-3000 and HD-2000 cards can be hooked up to digital cable and
receive everything.  You know if the channel is encrypted because it's
garbage to an normal mpeg decoder.  Let me correct my statement, the
channel data is readable, but the audio/video streams are encypted and
garbage to us.  USDTV sends encrypted Digital (NON HD) channels OTA.
Myth chokes and dies a horrible death if you try to decode it (Which can
be quite annoying if a regular HD station is broadcasting their leased
bandwidth to USDTV on their first program channel).

No, you're not the only one who cares about it, it's just that HDTV is
new and those devs working on it don't seem to have HD cable.

--Brandon