[mythtv-users] lirc woes - bttv?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Aug 18 02:17:04 EDT 2004

First off, please create a new mail for a new thread, rather than
hitting reply on another one and changing the subject. You're mucking
up the threads...

On Aug 16, 2004, at 06:43, Jonathan Aharrah wrote:

> I'm doing a fresh install of mythtv (using Jarod's
> guide, and the latest ATrpm kernel
> 2.4.22-1.2199.nptl_52.rhfc1.at), and everything is
> going fine and dandy until I get to lirc, where it
> becomes a nightmare.  When I do the initial ATrpm
> install of lirc and the kernel module for lirc,
> everything works OK.  I reboot, and boom, it no longer
> works.  Specifically, this is what I'm getting:
>
> $ /usr/bin/irw
> $ /usr/bin/irw
> connect: Connection refused
>
> This is what is appearing in /var/log/messages:
>
> Aug 16 08:13:17 localhost insmod:
> /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2199.nptl_52.rhfc1.at/kernel/drivers/media/
> video/bttv.o:
> init_module: No such device

[snip]

> Aug 16 08:14:18 localhost lircd 0.7.0pre4[4463]:
> accepted new client on /dev/lircd
> Aug 16 08:14:18 localhost lircd 0.7.0pre4[4463]: could
> not open /dev/lirc

This one has popped up on the list a few times lately, IIRC. I don't
know what the fix is, but poke the archives.

> I have a PVR-350, so I'm pretty sure I don't need the
> bttv.o object to run ivtv.

This may be part of your problem. You definitely don't want to be
modules.conf. Get all traces of bttv out of there, and double-check
what you have set in there for lirc.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com