[mythtv-users] Mythtv on 2.6

David George david at thegeorges.us
Tue Aug 17 10:35:32 EDT 2004

On 8/17/2004 8:54 AM, huffman at graze.net wrote:

>>Fedora Core 2, swapped out the Fedora kernel with 2.6.7 from kernel.org
>>though.  Compiled with 8k stacks.
>>

>This is one of my questions.  Why did you swap out the kernel?  I've heard of a
>lot of people doing this, but I'm wondering if there's still any good reason.
>Both the latest NVidia drivers and ivtv are supposed to work w/ the default 4k
>stacks...

Actually 4k stacks are not the default.  Well in Fedora Core 2 and one
of the 2.6 version (2.6.5 maybe?) it was not only the default, but it
wasn't even an option IIRC.  In the 2.6.6 and 2.6.7 kernels 4k stacks
are the option, 8k stacks are still the default at least when doing a
make oldconfig on a .config that does not have a CONFIG_4KSTACKS line.

In my case I had to use 2.6.7 because I have a pcHDTV card and for some
reason I couldn't get the pcHDTV patches to work with the Fedora kernel
or even the vanilla 2.6.6 kernel (I have forgotten the exact problem, it
was a couple of months ago).  So I rolled my own.  I even included the
latest kraxel v4l2 patches to 2.6.7.  If you would like to see some
information (not a complete HOWTO however) on what I did you can go to
http://thegeorges.us/mythtv/ .

Next system upgrade I will try out kernel 2.6.8.1 with latest nVidia
(I'm still at 6106) and latest ivtv (I'm still at 99e).  I may have some
time to mess with it this weekend while my wife is at work.

I will probably be sticking with 8k stacks for now.  Using the XFS
filesystem (which I do) there is a small but real chance that if your
filesystem fills up (and I have filled mine up a couple of times before
I noticed) you may get a kernel oops.  For more info see
http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/7/20/62 .

--
David