[mythtv-users] Preparing for HDTV in 2005

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Mon Aug 16 18:02:40 EDT 2004

> Here's what I know of the HD-3000 card.
>
> pcHDTV has sold the last of their HD-2000 cards.  The new card in
> production is the HD-3000.  This card is almost identical except it has
> a newer Oren HD tuner chip and it will also have S-Video in.  The card is
> planned to be availible in the next couple weeks.  Windows drivers are
> also planned for this card.
>
> The reason for the newer Oren HD tuner chip is that the one used in the
> HD-2000 is out of production.  The new chip is unlikely to have any
> difference in performance/quality/tuning.
>
> --Brandon

I forgot to mention something important that the HD-3000 will also have,
but the HD-2000 could too if someone wrote the support.  QAM Will be
supported at some point, for sure, on the HD-3000 card.  But, the
HD-2000 is capable, but the driver does not do it right now.  If someone
wanted to take the time, we'd have QAM support (For non-encrypted
channels) now, or 13 months ago.

The S-Video is IN.  The HD-2000 has the hardware for S-Video IN, but not
the connector nor driver support for it.  (This is why though when you
install the card, video4linux detects the s-video port that we all just
ignore).

--Brandon