[mythtv-users] XvMC De-interlacing

Daniel Thor Kristjansson danielk at cat.nyu.edu
Mon Aug 16 13:47:05 EDT 2004

]> 1) On an object which has very small variations in color I see what
]almost looks like the effect you see when watching a DiVX or an XViD
]rip (if that makes sense).  Kind of blotchy vs. smooth transitions in
]color.

ATSC uses quarter resolution in the color channels vs. intensity. So
color bleading is just par for the course. It may be comforting to know
NTSC also uses less bandwidth for color than intensity. Slight color
variations also can not be captured do to the number of bits allocated
for color and due the color gamut of 3 color displays. So MythTV won't
fix these problems anytime soon ;) Though I have seen 6 color displays
and 16 bit displays, they look beautiful...

As for the jaggies.. I haven't tried it yet, but Doug just added
bob-deinterlacing to MythTV CVS, this should get you the best picture
and eliminate the jaggies. If that doesn't work for some reason, I
posted a patch a couple weeks ago that should ensure that you only see
every other line in 1080i content, which also completely eliminates the
jaggies, but with a loss in vertical resolution. This re-enables the
poor man's deinterlacing, which wasn't working for about a month in CVS
due to a bug.

-- Daniel
  << When truth is outlawed; only outlaws will tell the truth. >> - RLiegh