[mythtv-users] Preparing for HDTV in 2005

Wendy Seltzer wendy at seltzer.com
Sun Aug 15 18:28:32 EDT 2004

At 12:43 PM -0400 8/15/04, David George wrote:
>Brian Foddy wrote:
>
>>Since 2005 is only a bit over 4 months away, the the looming
>>broadcast flag rules are set to take effect (in the US), I've been
>>making a concerted effort to brush off my pcHDTV card and shake out
>>some of the remaining issues with using this card in mythtv.
>>
>Actually it is my understanding that the broadcast flag rules start
>in July 2005.  So we have an additional 6 months. ;-)

319 days left until July 1, 2005.  After that, no non-compliant
devices can be manufactured or imported.  I can't see how a card with
open source drivers could ever be "tamper resistant" as the broadcast
flag regulation requires, so they'll become scarce after that date,
though they'll continue to work and be saleable if manufactured
before July 1.  EFF's project to help get the word out about the
flag's technology mandate is at <http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/>

I've found the pcHDTV card works well with Myth on a fast machine and
2.6 kernel.  <http://wendy.seltzer.org/mythtv/>  They're out of stock
at pcHDTV until new inventory comes in, though.

--Wendy
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.com || wendy at eff.org
Staff Attorney, Electronic Frontier Foundation
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School
http://wendy.seltzer.org/blog/