[mythtv-users] Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 19, Issue 36

Rob Nichols rob at robnet.com
Sun Aug 15 15:29:40 EDT 2004

> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:13:52 -0700
> From: John Sturgeon <john at sturgeonfamily.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] dvd respecting cutlist
>
> Jason Werpy wrote:
> >I would be interested in this.  I'm currently doing commercial cutting
> >by hand.  Automation would be great.
>
> Another 2 cents added to the discussion.  I'm also in the middle of the
> 'automatic cutlist' thing, and somebody (rightly) brought up the
> unfortunate reality that the cutlist is not always accurate, and editing
> your source video sight unseen can result in some nasty editing
> mistakes.  An alternate that I am currently doing is taking the cutlist
> and dumping it into an EDL (edit decision list) for mplayer to skip the
> commercials.  That way, if it's wrong, at least they'll still  be there
> for me to see.  This works for me since I view most of my transcoded
> shows using mplayer, but it (obviously) wouldn't work for other folks.

I always hand verify the commertials using myth's edit mode.  Some times I
just move it a frame here or there, and sometimes I start from scratch.  I
usually watch the show directly from myth and then delete it.  However, a few
I'll then burn to dvd.  But I always hand verify the commertials.

I've found the "cutlist" to be quite accurate.  What I cut, is really cut, and
the frame numbers are correct.  What isn't always 100% is the automatic
commertial flagging.  I think we're saying the same thing...