[mythtv-users] "zoom" and/or crop video during recording

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sat Aug 14 15:56:39 EDT 2004

> Also, I have a feature request.  In order to boost quality a little for
> recording, it would be cool if there was a recording selection to "crop"
> off the top/bottom x % of the show, and have mythtv replace it with its
> own self-drawn black bars (we'd of course have manually figure out how
> much during live-tv watching of a similar show).  This would be great
> for shows that are broadcast in letterbox or widescreen mode (like stargate)

Why even replace it if we can strip it off?  Myth knows how to handle
automatically adding the black bars during playback if the aspect ratio
of the video doesn't match the aspect ratio of the display.  So, strip the
black bars off and change the 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio to the correct
aspect ratio and let the playback code handle the black bars as it already
does.  If you watch a 4:3 video in a non-4:3 window on a 4:3 screen, the
display code will even add in black bars there because it knows the
window is 4:3 but the video isn't.

--

Chris