[mythtv-users] Raid configurations

Anthony Vito anthony.vito at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 22:14:30 EDT 2004

> On the disks, it is less space but if you get 4x200GB seagates ($131 ea
> at newegg.com) you get 5 years of warranty. You may only get 1 with the
> western digital. Also the Seagate are native SATA drives. We have pretty
> much switched to seagate for all of our cluster nodes where possible.
> Too much hassle with WD and Maxtor.
>
> Terrence

Very nicely said Terrence. I recently purchased two 200gig Segates and
a TX4. I am running them in RAID 1 and they are the home partition on
my workstation. I'm going to keep everything that's moderately
important there. They are very very quite with those new FD bearings.
Seagate raising the warentee to 5 years with bean counters staring
down there throats is pretty much proof that these drives are really
realiable. They obviously feel sales will pay for the extra liability.
I did not know that RAID5 in software was a reasonable option. It's
always nice to have an upgrade path. Thanks much for all the info!

-anthony.vito