Feature suggestion (was Re: [mythtv-users] Moving files between Backends)

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 12 15:39:23 EDT 2004

On Thursday 12 August 2004 12:58, Chris Strom wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 12:26:47PM -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > Hmm, I know this isn't really a solution to your immediate problem,
> > but here's a feature sugggestion: what if the frontend could cache
> > a playlist?  By that I mean adding an option to the frontend to
> > queue a recording for playback, which would cause it to fetch the
> > file from the backend into a local cache directory.  Once the file
> > was cached, a status icon would appear/change, and you'd be able to
> > play back the recording locally.
> >
> > This would be great for those with limited bandwidth, like internet
> > or 802.11b frontends.  You could still get away with a relatively
> > small disk on the frontend.
> >
> > As always, this is not a 'feature request'.  It's just that when I
> > have ideas like this, I feel it's important to 'put it out there'
> > in case there's someone out there who thinks it's a good enough
> > idea that they want to write the code.
>
> You can already do something like this as long as you have
> mythbackend and mysql on your frontend.  Just dump the mythconverg DB
> on your backend (per
> http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-21.html#ss21.5), copy it to your
> frontend, follow the instructions for restoring the DB.  Then edit
> mysql.txt to point to the mysql server running on the frontend and
> change DBHostName to be that of your backend.  Then copy over the
> nuvs that you're interested in watching to your frontend.  Start up
> mythbackend, then mythfrontend and you're good to go.
>
> I was quite pleased with myself for using this method to be able to
> watch Trouble with Tribbles on my laptop in the hospital after my
> daughter was born.  Don't ask me why, I just got a kick out of it :)

Well, if you're going to go that route, why not just copy the .nuv files
and play them (on any Linux box capable of running mythfrontend) by
running:

	mythtv file.nuv

The only thing you need is a dummy mythconverg database, but it can be
pretty much empty.  You don't need a backend or any entries in the
program or recorded tables.

-JAC