Feature suggestion (was Re: [mythtv-users] Moving files between Backends)

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 12 12:26:47 EDT 2004

On Thursday 12 August 2004 11:56, Josh Renzema wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a rather interesting situation and I am hoping that someone
> may have an idea or two...
>
> I am currently in Sweden and have configured a Myth box (backend and
> front on the same box).  I have the same configuration in the USA as
> well.
>
> Currently I am recording shows in the USA, exporting them to Xvid
> using nuvexport, and them watching them here in Sweden using a
> regular movie player.
>
> I would like to integrate the two boxes somehow.  Preferably I would
> like to record the shows locally in the USA, then move the recorded
> files to Sweden and have the recorded shows display in the recorded
> shows area.
>
> I have thought about simply making one a Front-end box, but I don't
> think that will work because of the bandwidth issue - At best I can
> move about 30Kps - not nearly enough to support playback.

Hmm, I know this isn't really a solution to your immediate problem, but
here's a feature sugggestion: what if the frontend could cache a
playlist?  By that I mean adding an option to the frontend to queue a
recording for playback, which would cause it to fetch the file from the
backend into a local cache directory.  Once the file was cached, a
status icon would appear/change, and you'd be able to play back the
recording locally.

This would be great for those with limited bandwidth, like internet or
802.11b frontends.  You could still get away with a relatively small
disk on the frontend.

As always, this is not a 'feature request'.  It's just that when I have
ideas like this, I feel it's important to 'put it out there' in case
there's someone out there who thinks it's a good enough idea that they
want to write the code.

-JAC