[mythtv-users] Using mythtv as a plain VCR with xmltv but no broadband connection to internet

Daniel Savard dsavard at cids.ca
Thu Aug 12 09:33:04 EDT 2004

Le jeu 12/08/2004 à 08:11, Jimmy Larsson a écrit :
> Too bad, I have no DVB.
>
> I am just so focused by the feature to be able to tell the "VCR" to
> "always record This Serie and That Program and That Show, no matter on
> which channel and what time".
>
> Besides from the feature above I will use the mythtv-box as MP3-player
> and DVD-player. The only "online-feature" I really MUST have is to get
> the program table automatically into the box. That is easy with a static
> internet-connection, but as long as I live on the countryside I have to
> stick to my old modem. :/

You can setup your box with the modem to automatically call your
provider when a packet is routed on the ppp0 interface using the
on-demand feature of pppd. You have to setup also the idle time before
closing the connection. It is working fine for more than three years for
my home network. I have a old linux box acting as a router with the
modem for outside connections, a wireless card for the wireless network,
a ethernet interface for the wired network and it is running pppd in the
on-demand mode (the interface is created and useable for routing even if
the connection is not actually made with the ISP) and dhcpd to provide
dynamically addresses to new hosts.