[mythtv-users] Quick and dirty workaround

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Aug 11 14:43:21 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 09:35:20PM -0700, Bruce Markey wrote:
> > Would you be happier, Bruce, if I said SMSA's?
>
> Very little would make me happy

I'm beginning to think that's where you should have stopped, in this
sentence, Bruce.  1/2 :-)

>                               and any acronym or citation
> that supports what I'd hoped to say in the first place (without
> getting bogged down in the minutia) wouldn't make any
> difference...
>
> > The original rule is quote here, from 1949:
> > http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ggninfo/93.htm
>
> ...yet there it is. The rules that govern what station broadcast
> from where are moot. The point is that devices that output RF
> normally have a a mechanism to select the output frequency and
> the choices are suspect at best. This is why super VHS included
> a new type of connector to get away from issues of broadcast
> interference entirely.

No, it *so* isn't.

S-video is completely unrelated to RF interconnections; *it's* job was
to deconflict NTSC 3.58MHz subcarrier color from the luminance of a
baseband video signal, as I noted in another posting, so that you
didn't have to use brickwall or comb filters to do that.

*Any* kind of baseband video interconnect is an attempt to avoid local
broadcast RF interference; S-video isn't anything special on that
specific front.

> >>I certainly agree that you've demonstrated having no clue
> >>concerning any facet of the subject or even what "idea" had
> >>been discussed =).
> >>
> >>As for the subject from last week before the off-topic pissing
> >>contest,
> >
> > It wasn't, actually, a pissing content, until you so declared it.
>
> Perhaps you could start a thread explaining why your definition
> of a pissing contest is superior to all others but substituting
> "most cities" with "all cities" is an attempt to piss farther.
> Pissing over Niagara Falls is more of the same ;-).

I wasn't pissing at all; I was trying to be informative.  If you think
that one counter example to someone else's rule, which I was merely
quoting, changes my attempt to be helpful into "pissing", then my
apologies and condolences.

Alas, we have no "paraphrase marks" :-)

> which do not appear in Matt Morgan's message of Mon, Aug 2, 2004
> titled "Quick and dirty workaround":
>
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2004-August/050210.html
>
>   "How can I keep mythtv from trying to control the channel
>    internally?"
>
> He was concerned about the channel of the tuner on the capture
> card being changed because he was using the RF tuner input even
> though it took multiple promptings before he clarified this. He
> did not ask about the "'tune card to' option" as you suggest. The
> problem was that he was unaware of the "Preset tuner to channel"
> option and that this was the solution that he was looking for.

I guess it was those "multiple promptings" that I missed out on.

> > Cause that's what *I* thought he was asking about.
>
> I have to admire your willingness to at least admit here that
> you were wrong. Perhaps if you read the actual text rather than
> making up your own quotes you wouldn't make these mistakes.

Indeed.  And for that, I apologize.  My snap reaction to his posting,
as I think was true for others, was "it's supposed to already be doing
what I think you're saying you want, Matt; what's up?"

But clearly, I missed the boat a little.

How nice, that we all have you here, Bruce, to keep us in line.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi