[mythtv-users] DVI v. Component

gabe at mustbethemoney.com gabe at mustbethemoney.com
Wed Aug 11 13:10:49 EDT 2004

All this talk of video quality (and it has been an education, and I have
learned a hell of a lot on how it all works), leaves me with just one
question regarding DVI in/output.  This has not been mentioned much, but I
am assuming that if the TV has a DVI input and you have a card with DVI
output that is the best possible signal-better than component?  From my
understanding, this is a pure digital signal that the TV can then convert
to an analog image, whereas a component output converts the digital signal
to a very high quality analog signal with the chominance and luminence
information.  Is this correct?  And if so, are we then talking bout:
RF<Composit<S-Vid<Component<DVI ???

Also, I know this has been mentioned before, but how will DVI be affected
by the broadcast flag?  Will TVs with DVI inputs sold after June next year
not take an input that does not have the flag?